The kitchen facelift!

So here it is! I'm no photographer but I did the best I could to show you what we accomplished over Thanksgiving break. Here's the before....


The counters were a wood grain laminate and were totally grimy. They had to go. The cabinets had some good things going for them though. They are solid wood and I love the bead board detailing in the center. Very cottagey. I knew they would paint up nicely. I primed the inside of the cabinet first with 2 coats of kilz primer and then one coat on the cupboards and doors. I decided to go with a two tone cabinet color since I've always wanted to but was afraid I wouldn't love it. Since we're planning a major remodel in a few years I thought, "why not!" 

Here's the in between! Just keeping it real!

I actually love it though and may choose something like this for my new cabinets eventually! My color choices were inspired to blend with the existing tile floor since we knew we weren't ready to replace that just yet. We replaced all the light fixtures, every outlet, light switch and the covers, painted the walls, replaced ll the hinges and knobs and the faucet. There is one wall that needed to be textured so Russ did that and it made a huge mess when he sanded!  We stuck with all the appliances that came with the house and will replace those when we remodel too. We replaced the counters tops with an inexpensive prefab counter from Lowes, but I love the granite like appeal it has! 

Here's the after! 


 Over all it really is just an update but what a joy to have everything clean and smelling nice as well as be pleasant to cook in! I'm so thankful for a hard working husband who is handy and motivated to get stuff done, it make this house and all it's many projects feel doable when know he is going to be right by my side! 

Color Details: 
Wall color - Marble Tile (valspar, lowes)
Top cabinets - Bay Oyster (valspar, lowes)
Bottom cabinets - Beach (valspar, lowes)

5 comments:

Family of 5 said...

Love it!!! Looks amazing Connie!!

paulashley said...

love it love it love it!!!!!!! in all honesty I'm having counter envy right now- so you may need to give me some info soon :) Gorgeous! You guys are so talented!

Jen Rouse said...

Gorgeous. I need to re-paint my cabinets so badly! You're inspiring me.

Amanda said...

Really, really cute!! You make it look so simple. :) I need to paint my bedroom, want to come and help?

Cathy said...

Looks amazing Connie! Now I just need to come over and see it in person.:)