Fostering Friday

Fostering Fridays are all about my journey as a foster mom, how I feel about it, the highs and lows, and how it affects my family. And of course, hoping to increase awareness and prayer for this challenging and very rewarding ministry.

This Friday marks a giant step toward the last leg of this journey with our little man.  We received news this week that things are finally on track for an adoption through recruitment. That means that families who are certified through DHS to adopt can apply their home studies, then one family will be chosen to be our little guys forever family! This is a HUGE relief and an answer to prayer. We want so much for this baby ( who is so not really a baby anymore) to be placed in a home with parents who are waiting and praying and aching for a child!

It's been a really long process to get to this point, so many things that had to fall into place and be worked out. There have been many times where I prayed over and over for my faith in our decision not to adopt would remain and that I could trust God to see this through to completion. It was scary to see that some less than ideal paths were considered, I wanted to take matters back into my own hands and just keep him here where I know he is safe and loved. Russ and I both, have revisited time and again whether we were to adopt this child. Each time we felt sure we are called to let him go. It was hard to trust God in that choice. Is it really going to be okay? Is God really watching and moving the pieces of the puzzle around to fit perfectly together? Can I trust Him and His sovereign plan even if this doesn't end the way I think it should? Doubts threatened to creep in like a fog and hang around my shoulders as I waited and waited for answers. And each day I cared for and loved this rambunctious boy and prayed that God would hold him tighter than I can.

With the news that he is now going to recruitment comes a rush of bittersweet feelings! I have met many families that are longing for someone to let go of a beautiful baby so they could have a child. I have seen the hole in their hearts as they wait and pray for it to be their turn to have the privileged to adopt. I'm thrilled that our boy will be heading to one of these homes. I am anticipating the resolution of this journey and the amazing gift we get to give to a family so desperately wanting this baby. But when we give that gift, it means we lose it. It  means our house doesn't have the wild joy of a toddler any longer. It means this little boy who has captured our hearts will move on to filling the hearts of his forever parents. And in the long run of life, we become a stop on the road to his forever family. My heart weeps for that moment of goodbye. My eyes sting with unshed tears when I think of giving him his last kiss, or holding his tiny hand for the last time. But for now, I'm just believing that what God has called us to, He will see us though. I feel like I should post that somewhere in our home to remind us that with Him even grieving the moving on of this child is possible. We will survive it, with joy, knowing he is cared for. I am abundantly blessed with my two beautiful children and until God leads us otherwise, we are are content to raise them to know God and to be compassionate for the orphans in this world. To show them that sometimes following God's plan hurts, but we can trust that the end will be worth it all.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

This is a very moving post, Connie. I've often wondered what must go on in the hearts and minds of foster families who eventually give up babies and children to be loved and raised by another family. Thank you for sharing. I know I will be praying for you and your family as this baby moves on to his new home and family. May God bless you for what you are doing.

Russkateer said...

________Comments from Facebook_______

Laurie Duyck Crop wow Connie!! praying for your little guy to be blessed with a forever family!! I am one of six adopted kids and if there hadn't been folks like you and Russ, two of my siblings would have had a much rougher time before they got to us.. thank you for what you do!
Friday at 8:03am · Like

Suzanne Schmidt ♥ I'm teary....love you
Friday at 8:05am · Like

Mel Dormer Being a product of 'the system', I am SO happy that there are families like yours taking care of the children that need it the most. God Bless you guys!!! ♥
Friday at 8:06am · Like

Mindy Pickens We got your message & have been praising with you & aching too. We are lifting you up every day, & the family God has chosen for him too! We love you all so very much.
Friday at 8:19am · Like

Jill Zuniga ‎Connie, I didn't know that you were a foster parent! I am actually the therapist on staff for a small agency that provides foster care for DCFS kids through Utah state. I see children and adolescents weekly and provide therapeutic opportunities for them to work through trauma experienced and any emotional or social deficits. This, of course means working with foster families and biological families if they are connected to the client. I appreciate people like you who are willing to take kids in, help provide solid support for them, help them develop positive coping skills, and most importantly show them what its like to feel truly loved. May God bless your ministry and thank you!
Friday at 8:22am · Like

Jill Schiewe Beautifully written, Connie. And I do think you should post that phrase in your home. He is the master puzzle designer and builder. We'll be praying for you all. ♥
Friday at 8:26am · Like

Donaca Wilson Fouts I got teary eyed, and my heart ached for you when I read this. What a gift of love you are giving to him and to another family. I think you're right, it is really hard when God says, "will you trust me" and then continue to walk in his leading, when our whole being says that it's too hard and we want to choose the path that appears to be easier. Praying that you will continue to walk in peace as you grieve and process it all.
Friday at 8:56am · Like

Marlene Baurer Cardwell We've been there and understand what you are going through. We finally let go of a little mixed race guy and found out he went to neighbors of our Area Missionaries who are Christians. And we had peace knowing we followed His leading. Love ya
Friday at 9:17am · Like

Cathy Brown Cordero Love you guys so much!
Friday at 9:26am · Like

Tina Swartz Gearhart Crying. I so understand that internal struggle to trust God with every decision, knowing He is sovereign but also wanting it to work out the way you would like it to. Sending lots of love your way in the coming days and weeks.
Friday at 9:29am · Like

Amanda Uram Acker Beautifully written! Made me cry!
Friday at 9:32am · Like

Donna Hodge So impressed with your total faith in our God through this. I know you will be greatly blessed for all He has allowed you to do and learn through this process, and you have been, and will continue to be a great witness for Him through this entire process. You guys will be a great guide to others in this position in the future. Will be praying for the perfect place for him which will get you to a place of contentment much easier.
Friday at 11:33am · Like

Dawnita Libby Connie, thanks for sharing your heart with us. Mom and I have been praying every day for all of you and for little Daniel! May God give you peace as you rest in His sovereign hands!
Friday at 12:12pm · Like

Russkateer said...

______The rest from Facebook_____

Virginia Rowzee Grace and peace to a beloved saint of God and entire beloved family. Thank you for your unselfish display of HIS love.
Friday at 12:37pm · Like

Jennifer Kau Wow, Connie. I was blown away by this post. We will be praying for you. Our hearts will be rejoicing and weeping with you as you let go. My faith was so strengthened by your transparency... thank you!
Friday at 2:17pm · Like

Connie Compton I just get chills reading this! God is in all of this and he will see you through! I pray one day Daniel will come to you and say thank you for loving me in my early years! He is so blessed to have people like you and Russ to have been there for him. I will be praying for you my friend and God is going to bless all of you for doing his work here on earth!
Friday at 3:23pm · Like

Laura Krueger Elliott Connie, I admire you so much. What a huge impact you are making for the Kingdom of God! May your heart be at peace as you move into this place that God is taking you!
Friday at 4:16pm · Like

Dan Anna Steiner Wow! Your family really shines Christ's love for others by how you love and reach others!! It's been awesome reading your journey a foster family and pray for you all as lil sweetie is placed In a new family! He will always hold a special place in your hearts! Thanks for sharing!
Friday at 7:48pm via mobile · Like

Lori Wolfington Connelly Wow, beautiful testimony of shining Christ's love! Praying for your family in the weeks to come.
Friday at 7:55pm · Like

Jan Strom Hey Connie, would you believe me if I told you I know just how you feel? The pain doesn't ever really go away, but you learn to live with it. God will bless your faithfulness, and GOd willing you will spend eternity with him. :)
Friday at 8:52pm · Like

Danielle said...

Incredibly moving post Connie. I have friends that do foster care as well and I have so much respect and compassion for families like yours who open up their hearts and homes to these children who desperately need to be reminded of God's love and stability. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Danielle